The refurbishment and change of use of the former Officers’ quarters and mess in Clancy Quay(formerly Clancy Barracks), to 13 no. dwellings involved the considered conservation and refurbishment of an existing protected structure dating from 1887.
Clancy Barracks, previously Islandbridge Barracks, was built, extended and adapted as a Military Barracks for most of its developed life from 1797 to 2004. Our proposal did not seek to extend the property nor to annexe it to any other structures but instead strip back to the clean lines of this Victorian jewel, one of the most prestigious buildings in the barracks. Elements such as chimneys, stairs, joinery and flooring have been retained with interventions such as removal of walls, and formation of new opes minimised. The restrained red brickwork was repaired and re-pointed.
Residential units at lower ground floor level were thermally upgraded with external walls and ground floors insulated; upper level units with decorative wall linings have thermal upgrades to windows. A considered and sensitive approach has upheld the significance and stature of the building within the site; the building serves as a focal point for the Clancy Quay Phase 3 Development, currently under construction.